by PapersHive team
How does PapersHive protect your privacy?
We also undertake to make every effort to guarantee the security and confidentiality of our users’ personal data and in particular to prevent such data from being altered, deleted or accessed by unauthorized third parties. The URL of PapersHive begins with “HTTPS”, which indicates to users that they are communicating their data securely through the TLS protocol. Technically, the TLS guarantees visitors that their data cannot be intercepted while in transit over the network in a fraudulent or accidental manner. In addition, the padlock that appears in front of the PapersHive URL on most browsers certifies that you are browsing a secure site.
By default, we do not install any cookie on your browser. We use your browser’s “local storage” technology to store your browser settings (language, enabling or disabling options) on your device. If you change these technical parameters, a cookie may be installed on your browser, exclusively for the purpose of preserving these parameters. You have the possibility to delete the “local storage” data or the cookie from your browser.
What data is processed by PapersHive when you make search queries?
Indexing data (full-access articles) from the Web
In order to have knowledge of the existing contents on the Web and to offer you the most relevant results, PapersHive automatically indexes full access articles from the web, on which personal data of any kind is likely to be present. PapersHive retains this data until two years after the last indexing by our robots, based on our legitimate interest in having an index of publicly available content on the Web (article 6.1.f of the GDPR).
You have the right to erase these data (see below, section “Right to be forgotten”).
Processing of our users’ queries
To respond to the query by displaying results and ads matching your search, as well as for security and reliability purposes of its services (detection of spam, automated activity, fraudulent clicks on ads…), PapersHive processes the following data:
- The entered keywords;
- Information about the browser you use (the User-Agent);
- Session preferences information (if you selected a subject as “Computer Science” or “sorted by date”)
- A salted hash of the user’s IP address with the salt that changes ever three months at the latest (i.e the result of a mathematical formula based on this IP address, not the IP address itself)
- The country of origin of the search
PapersHive retains for 7 days the keyword(s) entered associated with a pseudonym identifier calculated from the User Agent of your browser and the salted hash of your IP address. After this period, the keywords are no longer associated to an identifier and are retained for 12 months for aggregate statistical analysis (e.g. to know how many times a keyword is searched over a given period of time).
Currently PapersHive is independent: we do not rely on Third Parties for delivering our services to you. Our services include: search results, grouped categories, crawlers for fetching new articles everyday and fast indexers.
Statistics and audience measurement
To evaluate its audience and understand the use of its services in order to improve them, PapersHive also keeps other data related to your use of the services (associated for 7 days with a hash calculated from your IP address and the User Agent of your browser) including :
- The source of the user’s visit to the site (the HTTP referrer and the search field used to trigger the request);
- Information about the type of link clicked (for example the position of the clicked link in the results with the number of results proposed or which category was clicked);
- Some information deduced from your User Agent (type of browser, operating system, major version of the browser,…)
This processing is necessary for the purposes of PapersHive’s legitimate interest in developing statistics and measuring its audience, based on article 6.1.f of the GDPR.
What are your rights and how to exercise them?
Data protection regulation grants you specific rights over your data and its processing by PapersHive, which are as follows and as detailed below:
- right of access, rectification and deletion of data under the conditions provided for by the regulations (articles 15 to 17 of the GDRP);
- the right to object to processing under the conditions provided for by the regulations (article 21 of the GDPR);
- the right to limit the processing of such data under the conditions provided for by the regulations (article 18 of the GDPR);
- right to data portability (Article 20 of the GDPR);
- the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (Article 13 of the GDPR); and
- right to define directives in the event of death (articles 84 to 86 of France’s Data Protection Act)
Currently we do not have a Data Protection Officer (DPO), but for any question or for exercise your rights please send us an email at [email protected] or a physical mail at Sweden, Uppsala, Ulls väg 29C – Green Innovation Park.